Here are some suggested medications thought to be safe to take during pregnancy.
- Tylenol 650 mg every 4 hours as needed
- Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) 400-600 mg every 4-6 hours as needed.
****Do not use ibuprofen products before 12 weeks or after 28 weeks.
- Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine) 30-60 mg every 4-6 hours can be used in the second and third trimesters in women without HTN. Avoid use in the first trimester and with breastfeeding.
- Sudafed PE (Phenylephidrine) should be avoided because its uncertain efficacy and safety in pregnancy.
- Afrin 12 hour nasal spray can be used for severe congestion. Do not use for more than 3 days in a row.
- Saline Nasal Spray
- Nasal Strips
- Clartin (not Claritin D)
- Zyrtec 10 mg daily
- Benadryl 25 mg every 6-8 hours
- Robitussin DM 2-4 teaspoons every 4-6 hours as needed
- Dextromethorphan 10-20 mg every 4-6 hours as needed
- May use sore throat or cough lozenges
- Fiber products: Metamucil, Citracel, Fibercon, Benefiber
- Colace (Docusate): 1 tablet 2-3 times a day
- Pericolace: (Docusate + Sennosides) 1 tablet 1-3 times a day
- Laxatives: Milk of Magnesia, Correctal, Fleets enema, Miralax
- Imodium liquid or capsules. Use as directed
DO NOT USE Kaopectate or Pepto-Bismol
- Simethocone (Mylicon, Gas- X) 80 mg 1-2 times a day
- Tums, use as directed
- Zantac (75 mg), Pepcid (20mg): may use 1-2 tablets twice a day (one of these doses may be before bedtime)
- Maalox, Mylanta: use as directed
Nausea & Vomiting
- Vitamin B6 (10 to 25 mg) three times daily
- Sleep aids like Unisom® ½ tablet 30 minutes before bedtime
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl®) 25 mg every 6 hours as needed daily.
If these remedies are not helping, you may need a prescription medication from your doctor.
- Benadryl 25- 50 mg before bedtime
- Tylenol PM, Unisom
- Anusol, Tucks Pads